As we head toward Thanksgiving and into Christmas, families across the country are looking for fun activities and opportunities to serve with their children. Activities to help them understand the sometimes giving can be even more fun than receiving. The problem many families run into is that many volunteer events have a minimum age limit and most are geered toward the elementary age child and older. Luckily there are still a lot of activities to do with your kids when they are much younger. This is a journey my family and I took in 2013 when our twins were 5 turning 6. We decided to perform a random act of kindness each day of the year. RAKs 2013.
It includes some wonderful ways to serve with your little ones and some great ideas of things to do as a family to celebrate not only during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons but all througout the year.
Some ideas for families to do with their younger children include:
- Packing an Operation Christmas Child Shoebox
- Taking stuffed animals to the local ER or Fire Station
- Delivering baked goods to the local police station
- Paying it forward at the drive thru
- Buying a homeless man/woman a meal
- Making homemade holiday cards for the local nursing home
- Delivering treats to the neighbors
- Offering to rake a neighbor's yard
- Collecting and deliver needed supplies to the local animal shelter
- Collecting basic hygiene items for the local shelter
- Collect food or diapers for the local food pantry or diaper bank
- Shopping for an angel tree gift
In addition to Baby Booties we also operate a home childcare for preschool age children and nurturing compassion for others is one of our core values. We have adopted soliders and sent care packages, baked cookies and delivered to neighbors with sweet notes, written encouraging messages on the sidewalk with chalk, and collected school supplies for a local under resourced school.
We also encourage families with young children to help during Baby Booties distirbutions and you can find out more information here.
There are so many other things you can do with your children to encourage them to think of others this holiday season and throughout the year. Just get creative and have fun with it!! These are memories that will remain with them long after the newness of all those Christmas toys is gone. Make this year a holiday season to remember!!